Friday, August 5, 2011

Making Exercise Fun!!

For years now I have had the same workout routine. My location of choice is the YMCA (because they have free daycare while I'm there). The fitness room has plenty of weight and cardio machines. I typically would spend half an hour on each of these, give or take, during a workout session.  But after so long, this just gets boring. It feels so repetitive doing the same thing every day. So a month ago, a friend of mine suggested going to a Zumba class with her. These are offered at the Y almost every day, and they are free (with membership)!! I have never done a fitness class, so I felt very intimidated about going. I thought I would look silly, not knowing what I was doing.

Well maybe I did. But I didn't let it stop me. That first class was by far the most fun workout I've had in a long time! So if you are looking for something new and different, and you like listening to upbeat music while you exercise, I highly recommend trying it out.  Now I do an hour of Zumba per day to get my cardio workout in. I also try to do 20-30 minutes of strength training either before or after Zumba class, so I can keep up on that. So far, I have lost a pound a week using my new routine. I also feel so much better and have tons more energy than I used to.

Today my daughter AE, 5, will be going to the newest class at the YMCA, Zumbatomic, which is Zumba for kids!!! She and I are both very excited to see how she likes it. AE played soccer last spring, and I think her father and I had more fun at her games than she did. It's time for something new, so we'll see how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment